Tuesday, February 16, 2010

kitchen 18 months later



I've been living in the house now for a bit over a year and a half. The kitchen counters are holding up incredibly well. They are made of antique wood from the barn floor. I oil them about once a month or less with mineral oil and keep standing water from pooling up on them. It's less of a hassle than I imagined and it has the added benefit of keeping the counters clean and free of junk. I use cutting boards for chopping and oil them when I do the counters. There is a pantry with a sliding door on the far side of the fridge and between that and the "multiuse chamber" above the oven, I have plenty of food storage space. The rest is all open storage on shelves under the counters. Garbage and recycling are in a pullout under the sink. I still need to finish the door trim.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your kitchen. How are you hiding the gas line for your stove?
Priscilla

John Letourneau said...

Thanks Priscilla,
The line runs along the underside of the counter and into the wall on the left, goes behind the fridge and then outside. I have it hooked to a small barbeque tank as it is my only gas appliance. This way, I can easily bring the empty tank to the local hardware to get it filled myself. I go thru 2 tanks a year, about 40 dollars total.